Anxiety is common. And if you suffer from anxiety or fear the dentist, you’re probably skipping out on visits, which is causing more harm to your mouth and body than you think. Millions of Americans avoid the dentist because they fear pain.
An estimated 75 million people in the United States live with some type of dental fear, which can stem from:
- Prior painful or negative experiences
- Feeling helpless or out of control in a dental situation
- Feeling embarrassed about neglecting your teeth
- Fear of being ridiculed about neglecting your teeth.
- Parents or siblings have a fear which plays a role in your fear
Seeking dental care is imperative for your health. If you suffer from dental anxiety or fear, sedation dentistry offers a solution.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
There are different options offered for sedation, the most common of which include:
- Nitrous Oxide – This is commonly known as laughing gas. It is used to decrease pain and anxiety. It is very useful for children so they may relax and are more likely to cooperate.
- Oral Sedation Dentistry – Our sedation dentist will administer anti-anxiety medicine about an hour before the procedure. This will allow the patient to relax but they are still fully alert.
- Anti-Anxiety Medication – An anti-anxiety or sleeping pill may also be prescribed the night before the appointment. This can help the patient with falling asleep and getting well-needed rest.
Your dentist at Smith Family Dentistry will determine the best sedation option for each individual patient to meet their specific dental needs.
It’s important to bring your concerns and anxiety to the attention of your dentist at Smith Family Dentistry in Randolph, NJ before your visit. By providing our experienced dental team with this information, you can take the next step toward a healthy smile without experiencing anxiety during your next visit. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.